The PowerTank Lithium keeps the charge going for the astronomer on the go. The Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery chemistry has significant advantages over other battery chemistries.
– The LiFePO4 has an un-recharged shelf life of 10 years compared to 3 years for the Lithium Iron and 6-9 months for a Sealed Lead-Acid battery.
– The battery performance of the PowerTank Lithium phosphate degrades at a much slower pace than other chemistries.
– The LiFePO4 can be charged and discharged 2000 times compared to only 500 for a Lithium Iron battery and 300 for sealed lead-acid designs.
– The batteries will last as long as the telescope you use it with!
– The LiFePO4 uses phosphates instead of environmentally hazardous elements like cobalt or lead commonly found in other rechargeable batteries.
– Can withstand higher temperatures than lithium-iron designs and will not be a fire danger if accidentally punctured.
This combined with its rugged design make it the perfect outdoor power supply.
Keep your telescopes, smartphones, tablets, GPS systems, cameras and other USB-powered devices as active as you are with PowerTank Lithium—the ideal outdoor portable-charging solution for your electronic gear.
Q: PowerTank Lithium – Auto Shutoff Feature ?
PowerTank Lithium batteries come with a safety feature that prevents them from slowly discharging if they are left unattended for long periods of time.
This feature works by monitoring the current being drawn from the battery. If the current drops below a threshold level, the battery automatically turns itself off.
- For PowerTank Lithium batteries that use a 12V telescope port, the threshold is 250mA.
- For PowerTank Lithium batteries that use a car battery adapter port, the threshold is 420mA.
Celestron computerized telescopes draw more than 250mA when the mounts are powered on, aligned, and tracking. However, if you turn on the battery and telescope, but do not align and engage the telescope’s tracking motors, your setup may not draw enough current. After a prolonged period, this could cause the PowerTank Lithium to turn itself off.
When using a PowerTank Lithium Pro battery to power your computerized telescope, we highly recommend using the 12V telescope output to provide power to your mount. The car battery port was designed to provide power for much heavier loads (up to 10 Amps). To accommodate this larger load, the threshold for the port was increased to 420mA. Some Celestron telescopes, even aligned and with the tracking motors on, may not draw 420mA of current. This could cause the battery to turn itself off. You can avoid this by using the 12V telescope port.
Q: My Celestron PowerTank is taking longer to charge and to show a fully charged light. Why?
PowerTanks use a lead-acid battery technology. These batteries start out new at 100% capacity in amp-hours. PowerTanks come in 7 amp-hour and 17 amp-hour capacities.
As they age, the full capacity of the batteries decreases due to chemical and mechanical processes inside the battery cells. The ability to take a full charge of 100 percent of the original capacity is lost. It also takes longer to charge up due to the reduced capacity.
The PowerTank battery will also age more rapidly when repeatedly deep discharged–losing its capacity in fewer cycles than if not deep discharged. It is recommended to turn off the PowerTank when the yellow “Needs Charging” light comes on and to charge the battery after every use.
Your PowerTank will continue to hold a large part of its charge when fully charged, even though the fully charged light may not come on. And it will continue to be useful, though the runtime and amp-hours of the battery will be diminished. Replacement is a good idea when the runtime is short even after prolonged charging. When properly used, your PowerTank should last for years before it needs to be replaced. Always recycle the dead battery.
Additional, specific charging recommendations to prolong the life of an idle or stored PowerTank are provided in the instructions that come with your PowerTank.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.